Saturday, January 5, 2008

Travelling Alone

It´s been awhile since I did a completely solo adventure and I was a slight bit trepidatious, considering that this part of my trip was completely unplanned. So far, it´s working out. The Cusco Hotel I´m staying at is a family-run place that´s about a 10 minute walk into the center of town. Called ¨Hostal Pension Alemana,¨ it attracts quite a few Europeans as well as a scattering of Americans. At the daily breakfast which features Muesli and Yogurt as well as standard breakfast fare, everyone wants me to sit with them, perhaps because they´re a bit bored with each other and I´m this free-spirited interesting person.

And yesterday while on the city tour (which visits a bunch of the nearby churches and archeological sites) I sat with a Peruvian woman from Connecticut who had such a good time chatting that she asked if I´d come out for her wedding next summer! And then today at lunch, I wandered into a pretty restaurant and saw a Dutch young woman sitting by herself. She was delighted to have me join her...and again another not-to-be missed conversation.

Considering that Cusco is absolutely littered with travel agents (many blocks have 4-5 adjacent to each other), I don´t know how I found the ones that I did. And at this moment, I can´t imagine a better fit. They, Jesus and Charo are a no-longer married couple who have a six year old daughter. They have spent endless hours working out minute details, often personally picking me up and joining me in the activities I have booked. Within days, they have come to feel like family.

No comments: