Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Anthropology and Tourism


Today I released myself from the blaring world of Peruvian Tourism. For once no one was hounding me to buy stuff, listen to factoids about Inca history or begging me for a sole for the privilege of posing for a photo. Instead I just wandered around this rather normal city--a city nestled on the edge of Lake Titicaca. I found my way to the local university and over to the anthropology department which appears to include the tourism department. I started to wonder whether tourism majors (a most popular field of study here in Peru) took just enough anthropology classes to become tour guides! And then from my very American perspective, I faced that it would be quite unlikely that anyone here engages in anthropological studies of tourism. (Something that at this moment I have way too much to comment upon!)

No comments: